Network Engineer, Audio / Visual Systems
Alternate Job Title: Audio/Visual IT Engineer
Help design & maintain a leading broadcast/AV IT Infrastructure!
Work site location and Zip Code: Washington, DC 20431
OMNITEC Solutions (http://www.omnitecinc.com) has an immediate employment opportunity for a Network Administrator/Engineer with specific experience administering a IT networks designed for high-end/high volume AV and Broadcast production needs.
The network infrastructure is based on CISCO 7700 switches and provides the transport mechanism for audio, video and control signals throughout a Broadcast and AV facility.
This Engineer will also function as a "Liaison" and shall participate in discussions and meetings between the AV design team, the client IT and Network teams, and the End-User representatives to provide guidance and advice on key network characteristics.
Job Duties / Responsibilities
1. Performs system administration duties for the IT infrastructure used in a large scale audiovisual and event production facility. The CISCO-based network handles audio and video transport for eight AV/Broadcast control rooms, 23 event venues (conference rooms, meeting halls, etc.), and the facility data center. Systems include but are not limited to ingest, file based editing and distribution, media asset management, webcasting, IPTV, IP audio distribution, SNMP monitoring and quality assurance, KVM, intercom, post production workstations, etc. Monitors network performance, installs and tests network upgrades, manages network security, and maintains addressing schemes. Identifies sources of IT problems that affect AV system performance and provide technical expertise to resolve problems, including equipment interface, network latency, network addressing, and signal flow problems.
2. Works closely with the Audiovisual and the IT Departments to ensure that audiovisual systems function correctly. Provides technical expertise in the field of audiovisual and videoconference systems, encompassing all related disciplines such as operational system support, troubleshooting, monitoring, performance tuning, and documentation. Analyzes and rectifies network faults relating to audiovisual and IT equipment, networks and systems. Minimizes loss of service by rapidly identifying and implementing alternative methods of service provision.
3. Provides system administration for a network-based audio/video asset storage devices (Edit Share). Ensures storage is accessible to all authorized users across the network. Troubleshoots and repairs IT-based hardware, software and network technology systems that provide broadcast and AV service. Works with the in-house IT department on common network interfaces across the enterprise. Assists with IT security to ensure compliance or risk mitigation.
4. Installs, repairs, tests and troubleshoots equipment as needed, in order to keep systems functional. Coordinates and manages the repair of equipment with outside service personnel and authorized manufacturer service centers.
5. Maintain broadcast/AV workstations and servers. Provide necessary upgrades, patches, security vulnerability updates, and preventative maintenance as necessary to reduce risk to assets. Monitor disk health and validate backups for all systems. Provide recommendations for improving services and reducing overall risks or expenditures where able.
6. Document AV network infrastructure and assets utilizing traditional and online tools (servicenow). Develop and document VLAN assignments, IP addressing schemes, and define services for broadcast/AV assets. Identify and document device/service dependencies.
7. Develop and maintain service level agreements and maintenance contracts for broadcast/AV core services and equipment manufacturers as required. Prepare quarterly updates to be included in management forecasts.
8. Monitors service level indicators of equipment using both traditional and online tools and provides guidance for those working with the equipment on a daily basis. Evaluates equipment condition and usability and recommends lifecycle replacement. Recommends upgrades to infrastructure, including replacement of systems and equipment to meet service level agreements.
9. Occasionally performs duties outside of regular business hours, evenings and sometimes weekends as workload demands.
10. Other duties as assigned.
1. BSEE desired with a minimum of 5 years related engineering work experience; or ten or more years work experience with a combination of specialized training in the broadcast and IT systems. CTS certification highly desirable.
2. Knowledge of state-of-the industry audiovisual and broadcast equipment, tools, standards, and procedures used in first class conference centers. Ability to read schematics and signal flow diagrams.
3. Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange and Group Policy, Active Directory & enterprise management strategies. Familiarity with RTMP, H.264, Flash, Silverlight and related protocols. Experience configuring multi-cast and unicast protocols. Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
4. Proficient in cable termination techniques and standards to include but not limited to coax, UTP, serial, analog audio etc. Understanding of LAN/WAN hardware and software for switches, hubs, routers, bridges, modems, multiplexors, and point-to-point data circuits via copper and fiber for audio and video.
5. Desirable certifications include: Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE); Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA); Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
6. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, to include the ability to interface directly with customers and resolve complex service problems; good writing and documentation skills; strong computer skills in a Windows environment with standard MS Office applications and the ability to learn other specialized software; and work experience in a multicultural environment.
7. Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, manage, evaluate, and schedule work in a busy environment. Demonstrated ability to work independently.
8. Pass a Minimal Background Investigation/MBI;
Additional Helpful Skills
- Crestron and AMX control systems experience desirable;
- CTS I or D Certifications are also highly desirable;
- the ability to obtain a security clearance is helpful as potential cross-program employment opportunities on project teams supporting other federal and/or DOD clients are part of our career development opportunities.
When applying to this position directly via our portal (https://www.omnitecinc.com/Careers/CurrentOpenings.aspx) please be sure to:
1. add Employment@omnitecinc.com to your contacts list, and
2. use Chrome, Firefox/Mozilla, or Safari for your browser as IE tends to have display issues.
OMNITEC Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmation Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.